I don’t know about the rest of you, but I need to get motivated when it comes to working out. I love fitting in a good sweat session, but I’ll be honest…it takes some serious motivation to peel myself outta bed every morning. Unlike what you see in the below photo, some of my best workouts happen before the sun even rises!
I’ve rounded up 5 of my fitness must-haves for motivating myself to stick with it and make my fitness and health a priority.
1. A good pair of sneakers. This seems like a no-brainer, but I was just talking to someone recently who told me that they didn’t even know where to start when it came to sneakers. For me, Nike is my go-to and I don’t see that changing. They fit me well, I know what size I need to order and I don’t have to question whether or not I’m going to acquire a blister from wear. So many people have opinions when it comes to fitness footwear, but I think it comes down to what works best for your
feet, arch, support needs, etc. I always throw in Happy Feet insoles
for my high arch and I’m good to go!
2. A fitness tracker. I never wore one before I really started getting serious about my fitness this winter and I admit — it’s a game changer. I have a Garmin Forerunner 235
and I’ve fallen head over heels for it. There are so many fitness trackers in the game, but to me — I’m sold on Garmin. I love that I can track distance, heart rate, compile multiple runs/workouts and compare and so much more! During my half marathon
it was fantastic, because I was able to track my heart rate, my splits and my time lapsed all on one screen without fiddling with buttons/multiple screens. I loved it!
3. Quality sports bras. I shouldn’t have to spell this out, but your girls need support. I cannot tell you how much money I have wasted on cheap sports bras, only to feel like I’m not getting the hold I need during a workout. Just because they look cute DOES NOT mean they are going to give you what you need in terms of support. Sports bras used for anything other than working out are a whole different animal (I choose cute over functionality all day long), but when you’re in the market for something to hold your boobs down during a sweat session, you need to opt for function.
4. Free weights. Before I met Dane, I had never lifted a thing in my life. Okay, that’s a lie, I lift shopping bags and groceries all the time. But in terms of fitness, not a thing! He introduced me to weight lifting and now I cannot. get. enough! It’s the fastest way to transform your body! Anyway, we have PowerBlock Adjustable Dumbbells, which is perfect because it means we are both able to adjust to what weight we want without accumulating a ton of individual weights in our garage. We have enough stuff without multiple sets of weights, thank you very much.
5. A running stick. I don’t care what anyone says, if you’re working out, you need to make taking care of your muscles a priority. Stretching, foam rolling and, a personal favorite in our house, the running stick, all play an integral part of making the most of your workout. In fact, stretching is my favorite part! We ordered our running stick
off Amazon (less than $30!) and it advertises itself as a toothbrush for your muscles. It stretches muscles to maximize workouts and minimize pain, all while treating any workout-induced irritation. Even if you don’t have a foam roller or stick, I cannot say enough about the importance of stretching and warming up muscles pre and post workout.
Now that I’ve shared my essentials, what are yours?