DIY Instagram Wall

Man oh man, this post has been a long time coming, but I’m so happy I finally got my act together to type it all up, edit the photos so that you have something pretty to look at and get this bad boy signed, sealed and published on the blog. So let’s chat all about my DIY Instagram Wall, shall we?

DIY Instagram Wall - a step-by-step guide!

When I was thinking about our home decor, one of the things Dane actually suggested was putting up some of our collective prints from Instagram. He said that since it’s somewhat of a “highlight reel” of our life, it would be a fun addition. I absolutely could not agree more! That said, picking out our photos ended up being the easiest part of this adventure! You see, Instagram walls sound like an amazing idea until you realize that you want everything to look uniform and your wall is about 18 feet high and you’re balancing on ladders and step stools and holding a flashlight, because you decided to take this on beginning at 7PM when the UPS man dropped off your frames…

Raise your hand if you’re nodding in agreement, because these sorts of shenanigans also occur at your own house….!

Okay, so once I had the space in my house picked out for displaying the photos, I knew I wanted entirely uniform frames. This is where I tell you that Tiny Mighty Frames saved my sanity, because in my own mind I was like..oh, I can just go buy a couple (hundred) 2x4s from Home Depot and cut, glue, arrange…and make it work out! Eh, eh. Joanna Gaines, I am not.

So, when I stumbled upon this miracle frame company, you can imagine how excited I was. Tiny Mighty Frames are modern-style wooden frames that come in multiples sizes and colors and offer mats or no mats, depending on your personal preferences. I ultimately decided on the White 6×6 Frames with a 4×4 mat, but after browsing just now, I may have to stock up on the Mighty Gold! #hearteyes

Another thing I loved about this company is that they offered their frames in perfectly sized packs with OPTIONS!

When you have your wall picked, your photos and your frames, it’s time to get to work. For this project, you will also need painter’s tape, measuring tape, a pencil, nails and a hammer. If it were me, I would also grab a hard cider to enjoy. Make sure it’s cold with a lime.

I gave my Instagram followers a live play by play, because of course, my DSLR was out of battery while the wall was in production, so please excuse the saved phone grabs.

A DIY Instagram Wall With Tiny Mighty Frames1. The first thing you’re going to want to do is decide on spacing. I knew I wanted rows with equal distance on each side, as well as the top and bottom. Because of this, I could only fit 4 frames per row, so measuring is MAJORLY important.

2. When you have measured your wall and decided on spacing for each frame, take a piece of painter’s tape and align it with each measurement. If you want every frame to be 3 inches from the end of the wall, measure out 3 inches, put a tick mark with your pencil every couple inches and align your painter’s tape.

3. Do this for all of your vertical and horizontal measurements.

4. When you are ready to hang your frames, where your tape intersects should be where your nail will go! (I had already removed the horizontal tape in the above snap :()

DIY Instagram Wall - an easy afternoon project that showcases all your favorite snaps!5. You’ll notice that I hung my frames prior to putting photos in them. I wanted to keep them uniform to assess any potential spacing issues without having a photo distraction.

6. Plan out your photos before you put them into the frames, particularly if you printed more than you needed like me. Whoops! I had my square-sized photos printed at Walmart (size 4 x4) and was sure to use photos that I knew had been taken with my DSLR to make sure they weren’t blurry!

7. When every nail is in and all the frames line up (you may need to do a little bit of tinkering, at least I did)..it’s time to insert all the photos into the frames and hang those puppies up!

It’s safe to say that our DIY Instagram Wall is one of my favorite places in the house and everyone who has come over always says…oh my goodness, I just love this! It’s quite the conversation piece 😉 I also really love that I can swap photos in and out to switch things up when I am feeling like I want a change or around holidays. How fun would a Christmas themed Instagram wall be?! It’s as easy as swapping out the photos!

You’ll notice that a couple of the frames look slightly crooked in this photo and simply put – Hawaii tradewinds. This wall happens to face another entire wall of plantation shutters that let in the warm tropical breezes all day long, so a couple wonky frames is the outcome there. Not to worry, I spend most of my day straightening them and making sure they aren’t actually crooked, just a bit wind blown 😉

Do you have a fun gallery wall in your house? I’d love to see a link if you’ve posted about it!

Special thank you to Tiny Mighty Frames for partnering on this fun DIY project and post!

RELATED POSTS

32 Comments

1. Reply

Kelsey

January 24, 2017

I love this! I thought it was such a cute idea when you posted it on instagram. Where did you print your pictures, and what size did you do so the quality wasn’t lost? Or did you use pictures that were taken from your DSLR?

Kait

January 24, 2017

Such a good catch! I totally meant to include this in the post and I must have gotten sidetracked! I printed at Walmart, made sure to pick photos that I knew were taken on my DSLR and the size is 4×4! It was super easy…and cheap!

2. Reply

Oksana

January 24, 2017

Such a cute idea! I’m currently brainstorming ideas on adding some personality to our hallway – and this is the perfect project!

3. Reply

Sabrina

January 24, 2017

This instagram wall looks fantastic!! Your pictures look really beautiful! I wish I could do the same at my home!

Kait

You can! It’s such an easy and fun project! 🙂

4. Reply

Jen

January 24, 2017

This is really such a neat idea! I may have to steal this for our new home once we move.

Kait

January 24, 2017

You definitely should! It’s a fun way to look back at all the memories we’ve shared 🙂

5. Reply

Erica @ Whimsical September

January 24, 2017

GORGEOUS, KAIT! I found some of the gold TMF on Amazon and hung them in Sadie’s nursery! I get compliments on them constantly. I also made a little gallery wall with them at the end of our hallway. You did such an amazing job with this wall, and I know it’s going to be a constantly conversation piece!

Kait

January 24, 2017

TMF are THE BEST! I love the gold ones – such a great choice! I went with white thinking it would be more versatile in case we moved and I wanted to take the idea along with me, but each and every time I catch a glimpse of the gold I wonder if one can have too many gallery walls…HMMM…LOL

6. Reply

emily @ a little bit of emily

January 24, 2017

This turned out so great!!

7. Reply

Greta

January 24, 2017

Your wall turned out so great! Such a wonderful way to show off your favorite Instagram photos.

Greta | http://www.gretahollar.com

8. Reply

Tiny Mighty Frames

January 24, 2017

Thank you for the post and the wall looks great!

To help your frames stay straight, we recommend using a removable poster hanging tape from 3M 🙂

9. Reply

Ashley

January 24, 2017

This is SUCH a cute idea! Your IG pictures are beautiful!

Kait

Thank you so much!

10. Reply

Rachel

January 24, 2017

This is the cutest little gallery idea! I’d be constantly switching them out though because each new Insta snap becomes my new favorite!

Kait

January 24, 2017

That’s exactly how I feel! I printed out extra and may switch them up seasonally – I haven’t decided yet!

11. Reply

Samantha

January 24, 2017

So cute! I absolutely love this gallery wall.

Kait

Thank you so much! I really love it too 🙂

12. Reply

Anne

January 24, 2017

I love love love how this turned out! What a great visual impact and way to put some of your personality into your space. I am so terrible with hanging things though – each of my framed photos/art pieces has at least 2 nail holes behind it, no matter how much I measured…I’d be a disaster with this project.

Kait

January 24, 2017

I can completely relate to the nail holes behind every frame sentiment! The tape was life changing for me, but there were definitely still a decent amount of swearing 😉

13. Reply

Jenny

January 24, 2017

This looks so awesome! I’d love to do this in my office.

Kait

January 24, 2017

It would be a great office accent wall!

14. Reply

Rachel

January 25, 2017

Love this! Such a fun way to bring your feed into real life! IT looks awesome

Rachel | The Confused Millennial

15. Reply

Ciara Sebecke

January 25, 2017

This is so cute! I am going to do this in my next apartment!

16. Reply

Michaela

January 25, 2017

This is adorable! Saving this idea for my office when I get a house one day!

17. Reply

Bella

January 26, 2017

Wow how neat is this!!! its so cute and I love how easy it is and how cute it looks all done.

18. Reply

Alex

January 26, 2017

This wall turned out SO beautifully! We always hang the frame without the photos too.

Kait

January 29, 2017

Thank you! I love it too 🙂

19. Reply

Victoria Stacey

January 27, 2017

This is beautiful! It really brings out something in yours walls. Would love to try this!

20. Reply

Lindsey at Blog Me Lovely

January 27, 2017

I love the wall! I ended up printing Instagram photos (can’t remember the service I used though) and I have them hanging at my cubicle at work using string and mini gold clothes pins. 🙂

Kait

January 29, 2017

Oh how fun! I love that idea!!

21. Reply

Kayla

January 31, 2017

This is such a cute idea! I have a bunch of Instagram pictures printed from a company that reached out to me and they’re about this size. I should try to do something similar at my house!

Kayla | kaylablogs.com