DIY Copper Ladder Under $50

Confession time: Ever since I purchased this beautiful side table from Target for $8, I’ve been on the hunt for more copper accent pieces for our home.

Copper Target Side Table

I know what you’re thinking – $8?! Why didn’t you buy more?! The world may never know. I kick myself daily for not stocking up.

Anyhow, I wanted at least one more copper piece to tie together our living room. Dane mentioned that he saw a cool tutorial for a DIY Copper Blanket Ladder on Instagram and that we should make one for the living room. He was SO right – it’s just the flair I wanted!

DIY Copper Ladder Under $50

I nosed around the internet and found this great tutorial from A Beautiful Mess that I used as an outline. I didn’t follow it exactly for a few reasons:

1. They use 3/4″ copper piping and I used 1/2″. This was a money saving mechanism. Our Home Depot definitely carries 3/4″ copper piping, but it’s more than double the 1/2″. Visually, it wasn’t a big enough difference for the splurge (at least for me).

2. Their tutorial works with pre-cut copper. Our store didn’t offer that so I had to find a way to make it work from 10 foot copper tubes. I invested in a pipe cutter and cut all the materials myself.

It’s also important to note that it’s very likely your pipes will come with red writing on them. Trust me when I say you’ll want to clean your pipes PRIOR to assembling your ladder. The guy at Home Depot recommended nail polish remover, which definitely works, but it requires a lot of polish remover, as well as a ton of scrubbing/power. As my friend and I were literally breaking a sweat scrubbing, she came up with the idea to try the cleaner she uses to scrub her copper pots. It worked SO MUCH BETTER. I imagine Bar Keeper’s Friend would do the trick, too!

For this project, you will need:

2, 10-foot 1/2″ copper pipes ($15/each) – $30

12, 1/2″ copper pressure tees ($1.36/each) – $16.32

4, 1/2″ copper tube caps ($0.76/each) – $3.04

GRAND TOTAL: $49.36

The very first thing you’ll want to do is grab a bottle of champagne, some croissants and a good friend. Have champs, will craft, am I right?

DIY Copper Ladder Under $50

When you’re all set, start out by cutting the 10-foot copper pipes.

You Will Need:

6 – 20″ pieces of copper piping (these will be the rungs)

14 – 8″ pieces of copper piping (these will be the outside of the ladder)

DIY Copper Ladder Under $50

Once you have all of your pipes cut, start cleaning them off! This takes a little bit and some elbow grease, but it is much easier to clean before you begin assembling.

DIY Copper Ladder Under $50

Once all the pipes are clean, attach your pressure tees to your 20″ pieces – one on each side. Then, fit the 8″ pieces into the pressure tees until your ladder comes together. You’ll notice that some of the tees/pipes are a little bit loose. I didn’t like that, so I initially used super glue, but quickly realized I would need something more and affixed each joint with Gorilla Glue.

DIY Copper Ladder Under $50

Finish the project by putting the caps on the four exposed pipe corners and TA DA!

DIY Copper Ladder Under $50

A couple things:

We live in Hawaii where the air is naturally salty and damp, so I know that I’ll probably be cleaning this ladder weekly. Two days in and I can already see it getting a bit spotty. I would not recommend it for an area of your home like a bathroom, laundry room or any another room that is prone to water. That said, I also wouldn’t recommend it as a clothes drying rack or towel rack.

I didn’t include the cost of the cleaner or pipe cutter into this project as those are both things I’ll be using in the future.

Feel free to affix the pipe caps with Gorilla Glue as well – use your judgement 🙂

Have you ever tried a copper DIY? If you try this tutorial, be sure to tag me (@ByKaitHanson) on Instagram and Twitter!

DIY Copper Ladder Under $50

February 17, 2017
February 22, 2017

RELATED POSTS

32 Comments

1. Reply

Kelsey

February 21, 2017

I love this! I actually just bought a wooden blanket ladder for our living room. But this copper one is so cool, except I am incredibly lazy. LOL! And how funny that Dane was the one who found it on instagram?!! Go Dane you social media maven 😉

February 21, 2017

Amen to being lazy. This has been sitting on my to-do list for months, so the fact that I did it AND blogged it all within 3 days is nothing short of a miracle! Oh yes, my little social media maven husband..he also found a DIY copper light pendant that I can make for our kitchen. Perhaps HE should have been the blogger in the family…

2. Reply

Jen

February 21, 2017

I saw this on social media and fell in love with it! I absolutely love how it turned out.

February 21, 2017

Thank you! Me too! I got a little bit nervous when I realized I was going to have to cut the copper pipes myself, but it was so easy!

3. Reply

Katie

February 21, 2017

Love this DIY! I’m obsessed with all things copper!

Thank you! I am too 🙂

4. Reply

Meg Taylor

February 21, 2017

Copper is such an awesome idea!! I’ll be the one millionth person to say that you should have gotten more of those side tables 😉 I’ve been wanting to make a blanket ladder, and this is fantastic!

Meg, Borrowed Heaven

February 21, 2017

I ask myself daily why I didn’t buy more! I don’t know what I was thinking!! 🙁 Clearly I wasn’t thinking!

5. Reply

Erica @ Coming Up Roses

February 21, 2017

I have ZERO copper in my house…and that obviously needs to change ASAP.

Coming Up Roses

February 21, 2017

Yes it does! You’re so trendy – I’m shocked you don’t have any!

6. Reply

McKenna Bleu

February 21, 2017

Im in love with this diy! I love copper accents in a room!

February 21, 2017

Me too! It adds such a fun pop!

7. Reply

Summer @ Coffee With Summer

February 21, 2017

Oh my gosh, LOVE! Need to do this for my new house!

Yes you do! 🙂

8. Reply

Jenny

February 21, 2017

This is the cutest. We’re house hunting right now and I totally want a blanket ladder in my living room.

February 21, 2017

Agh! House hunting is not too fun, but decorating sure is! Good luck in your search 🙂

9. Reply

Bella

February 21, 2017

How awesome is this!!! I want to make on!! Thanks for sharing.

You’re welcome! Let me know if you make it 🙂

10. Reply

Biana

February 21, 2017

I absolutely love this DIY – you did such a fabulous job!! Looks like a million bucks!! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

February 21, 2017

Thank you so much! I was shocked by how quickly it came together!

11. Reply

Rachel Ritlop

February 21, 2017

Obsessed!! I am all about the copper trend lately and this is so genius!

Rachel | The Confused Millennial

February 21, 2017

I am too! For a long time, I wasn’t so sure about it, but now I can’t get enough!

12. Reply

Ashley

February 21, 2017

This DIY is amazing! I love how it turned out!

Thank you so much! I do too! 🙂

13. Reply

Tori

February 21, 2017

This is so cute!! I love it for a home – but it would also be great for a dorm room! Perfect space saver!

Tori

February 21, 2017

I didn’t even think about it for a dorm! It’s a total space saver!

14. Reply

nicole leigh

February 22, 2017

my father has so many copper pipes that I’ve been sitting on, waiting for the right DIY project to use them for…and here it is – thanks for sharing gf! x, nicole // http://www.nicoleeigh.com

February 22, 2017

You’re welcome! Let me know how it turns out! 🙂

15. Reply

Greta

February 22, 2017

I LOVE this side table and copper ladder! Gorgeous!

Greta | http://www.gretahollar.com

16. Reply

Stephanie Bills

February 22, 2017

This looks like a super fun DIY project! I love the how the finished product came out.

17. Reply

Marie

February 22, 2017

Is that seriously this easy and simple?! I need to make one!

18. Reply

Shi Hui

February 23, 2017

Love that stool. It looks unique! Your DIY is so cooll too!

XOXO