Unicorn Meringues

Happy Monday, everyone! Was your weekend filled with trying to track down a unicorn frappuccino?

Unicorn Meringues

I got one when they debuted last week and had my barista swap in coconut milk. I didn’t love it, but I’m happy I tried it!

It seems like everyone lately is going crazy for all things unicorn. Admittedly, I’m not a huge unicorn fan, but I do love me some color! Somehow, these easy unicorn meringues that I made for a televised cooking segment I did last spring never made it to the blog! For shame, I know.

It’s crazy I never shared them (not quite sure how that happened?!)… But I figured since everyone is making a mad dash to hop on the unicorn train, now would be a good time to let them make their colorful blog debut 😉

Unicorn Meringues

I promise you, these are SO EASY and once you experiment with all these fun colors, you’ll be making them to match holidays, sporting events, graduations…you see where this is going. The possibilities are truly endless!

Unicorn Meringues

To make these at home, you will need:

4 egg whites

1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

1 cup sugar ground in a food processor (more on that in a minute!)

1/2 tsp. vanilla (or flavor of your choosing!) – mint is pretty good, too, if you make green for St. Patrick’s Day 🙂

2 drops red food coloring

2 drops blue food coloring

2 drops yellow food coloring

pastry bag & icing tip (if you want a ton of icing tip options (24!) and a re-usuable bag, the linked set is AMAZING!)

Unicorn Meringues

1. First things first – you want your sugar to be SUPER DUPER fine for your meringues, but not powdered. Take 1 cup of sugar and put it in your food processor or Vitamix. Pulse blend until sugar is slightly finer than when you began.

2. Next, preheat your oven to 200 degrees.

3. Put your egg whites in a bowl (I used my countertop KitchenAid) and whisk on low until whites are a little foamy. Increase the speed up to medium-high for an additional 2 minutes.

4. Stop whisk and add in cream of tartar.

5. Whisk on medium-high, slowly adding processed sugar.

6. After 5 or so minutes, you will begin to see your mixture forming stiff peaks.

7. Stop whisk and check your mixture to see if you can still feel the sugar. If you can, continue whisking at medium-high speed.

8. When you can no longer feel the grit of the sugar, fold in vanilla (or other extract) with a spatula.

9. Divide mixture into three bowls.

10. Add red, blue and yellow coloring to each bowl respectively and fold together until thoroughly mixed.

11. Affix a piping bag with your favorite icing tip and add 2 tbsp. of each color, making sure to squeeze out any air bubbles.

12. Pipe meringues onto a baking sheet. If you are not achieving your desired shape, consider a different icing tip.

13. Repeat until entire meringue mixture is used.

14. Bake meringues for 1.5 hours at 200 degrees.

15. At 1.5 hours, turn the oven off and crack open the oven door, but leave the pan inside.

16. The meringues need to cool and harden for 6-8 hours before they are ready to eat!

Rainbow Unicorn Meringues

Have you ever had meringues? What did you think?

RELATED POSTS

43 Comments

1. Reply

Meg Taylor

April 24, 2017

I am loving this colorful unicorn trend – it just makes me so happy. These look so delicious! I tried to unicorn frappuccino, too, and it was… fine.

Have a good week!

Meg, Borrowed Heaven

Kait

April 24, 2017

I love the colors too! You’re right, it just makes me happy!

2. Reply

Kelsey

April 24, 2017

These look so fun!! I am not a unicorn person myself…and had no desire to try that colorful drink. I just stick to my americano. Ha!

Kait

April 24, 2017

Good thinking on the Americano! It was WAY TOO SWEET, but I’m happy I tried it, if only for the photo op, LOL

3. Reply

emily @ a little bit of emily

April 24, 2017

Those are so neat!! How pretty!

Kait

Thank you so much! I thought so too 🙂

4. Reply

Anne

April 24, 2017

Look at you ahead of the trend (even if you forgot to tell the world about it, ha). These are so fun! And I love meringues for a little something sweet that feels totally okay given how light and airy they are.

Kait

April 24, 2017

It’s so funny you say that because Dane said the same thing..! He was like oh you trendsetter, you…

5. Reply

robin rue

April 24, 2017

No way! Those are almost too pretty to eat LOL. My kids would flip their lids for these.

6. Reply

Janel

April 24, 2017

I know what you mean I don’t understand the whole trend of unicorns either but I definitely like the different bold and vibrant colors.

7. Reply

karen

April 24, 2017

Love meringue cookies and these are so fun and festive! And unicorn themed! haha! I am all about trying these out because I’m quite certain they are less sugar/calories/fat than the “popular” Starbucks drink.

8. Reply

Allison

April 24, 2017

These are so cute and fun! They would be perfect for a party or get together! I will have to try these soon!

9. Reply

Thesocialbeing721

April 24, 2017

I haven’t tried the drink either and I agree I love some color. Your cookies are festive and I bet they taste great!

10. Reply

Kristina

April 24, 2017

Yum! I love the colors and how light pastel they are. They are not only “unicorn” themed but very Spring colored too! I’d love to try these!

11. Reply

Jeanine

April 24, 2017

My girls would LOVE these! They are so super cute. I love meringue cookies, and haven’t had them in such a long time!

12. Reply

Terri Steffes

April 24, 2017

I love anything that can be adapted to the upcoming holiday or season! I am also a huge fan of meringues, too. It is a childhood thing.

13. Reply

Kerri

April 25, 2017

OMG they are so cute! I have absolutely no desire to try the unicorn frappe, the bright fuchsia color turned my stomach hahah.

14. Reply

Erica @ Whimsical September

April 25, 2017

Everything you do is PRETTY!

Kait

April 25, 2017

You are too sweet, thank you! 🙂

15. Reply

Tereza

April 25, 2017

These look so damn beautiful, I can’t even tell you! I’m definitely trying these after I’ve come back from holiday – they’ll make for a perfect holiday blues pick me up! x

Kait

April 25, 2017

Oh if you make them and post to social, I would love to see! I’m @ByKaitHanson on all channels 🙂

16. Reply

Amanda Love

April 25, 2017

The unicorn trend is flourishing, without a doubt. I think these meringues are really beautiful! It’s perfect for serving in a party as well. The kids would love this for sure!

17. Reply

Ana De- Jesus

April 25, 2017

And I bet these unicorn meringues probably taste better than the frappes lol. I love how colourful they are so pretty xx

18. Reply

Jessi Joachim

April 25, 2017

Though I haven’t and probably won’t try that Starbucks frapp, these look so good! My daughter is a little unicorn obesessed, we even had a whole unicorn party for her 4th birthday, so i think she would love helping me make these.

Kait

April 25, 2017

Oh how fun! I hope she had a blast at her party 🙂

19. Reply

Melissa

April 25, 2017

The unicorn Frappuccino is getting so much press so I will have to try one soon. Your meringues cookies look amazing but I rarely bake so no unicorns for my kids this week.

20. Reply

Melissa

April 25, 2017

The unicorn Frappuccino is getting so much press I will have to try it. Those meringues look so good but I don’t bake much so my kids won’t be getting any unicorn cookies this week.

21. Reply

Cindy Ingalls

April 25, 2017

The unicorn trend is alive and well with these tasty little morsels. They look so much fun to try.

22. Reply

Dawn McAlexander

April 25, 2017

Looks like you picked the right time to reveal this meringue recipe. It should be a big hit, given the whole unicorn craze going on right now. They look really good!

23. Reply

Charlotte

April 26, 2017

I love these meringue ideas! I don’t think I am willing to try the Starbucks drink with all the sugar haha heart attack in a cup, but these I could justify

24. Reply

Lauren

April 26, 2017

One day, I will venture into the unfamiliar world of meringue. Seems way too time consuming, but I know one day I’ll grow the nerve to try a swing at it! Thanks for sharing your recipe! They look cute!

25. Reply

Reesa Lewandowski

April 26, 2017

How pretty are these!! They’re perfect! I love meringues but never have made my own!

26. Reply

Lyd

April 26, 2017

I’ve never ventured into making meringues but I LOVE how yours turned out. SO cute and they look delicious!

Kait

April 26, 2017

Thank you so much! You should definitely try them, I was shocked at how easy they are!

27. Reply

Yasmin Ali

April 26, 2017

whoa, never ever thought about meringues, but definitely might have to have a cheat day and make these! they look so pretty and colorful!

28. Reply

Heather

April 27, 2017

I love meringues! These are seriously adorable too. I know my daughter would love them. I have NOT tried the Unicorn Starbucks drink…and frankly it scares me a little 🙂

29. Reply

Rachel

April 27, 2017

These are so cute! I’m not a huge meringues fan but these would be so fun for a party.

30. Reply

CourtneyLynne

April 27, 2017

Omg how cute are these?!?! My daughter is unicorn obsessed. She would probably love to make these with me!

31. Reply

Tabitha Shakespeare

April 27, 2017

These look so delish and so festive! What a fun treat!

32. Reply

Renee | The Good Hearted Woman

April 27, 2017

Meringues are one of my favorite “sweet somethings” to keep on hand. They are so easy to make, and relatively low in calories. I love that these are so fun and colorful too!

33. Reply

Katriza

April 29, 2017

I LOVE THESE! I can’t wait to try this one! My kids would love to make it with me!

34. Reply

Brittany Fryman

May 1, 2017

I love spending time in the kitchen, cooking and baking, but I’ve never made a meringue. I need to try this recipe – it’s so pretty and I’m sure they taste delicious!

35. Reply

Sarah

May 2, 2017

These look so fun, I love the colors! I am obsessed with everything unicorn although I did not get to try the frappucino.