One of the questions I get most often in regards to my house and/or dogs is – how in the world do you keep white sheets on your bed (and white couches in your living room once upon a time) with two giant brown dogs? The answer is simple…I’m a clean freak. The reality is that I have gotten used to daily vacuuming and daily dog brushing, but that’s just a small part of what helps keep our sheets clean. Here’s a truth bomb for you: my bedroom is my sanctuary and having things that make me happy in that space creates a more peaceful overall environment for me when I’m in there. Maybe it’s all in my head…who knows! But having sheets that are clean, crisp and fresh are a small part of that. So with the help of some handy tips and laundry hacks, I’m able to maintain clean sheets in my bedroom oasis.
9 Laundry Hacks For Keeping White Bedding White
1. Persil® ProClean® laundry detergent. I’ve shared my love for the detergent before here, but I’m now a full-fledged believer. My mom shared the detergent with me this spring and I’ll be honest…I didn’t think it was going to work for me, but I was desperate for something that was going to keep our white sheets white despite sweat, red dirt and dark brown dogs.
2. Lint rollers. I keep them in my bedside drawer, so when I see some dog hairs, I roll them right up! This helps to keep the sheets clean between washes.
3. Wash your sheets regularly. Naturally, our bodies sweat and produce oil when we sleep and when it gets on our sheets it creates dirt and grime that creates a dingy look when you don’t keep up with sheet washing. I change/wash our sheets every 4-5 days.
4. If I have a stain – I treat it right away. I don’t shrug my shoulders, wait until laundry day and hope for the best. I use Persil® laundry detergent for this, too! All you have to do is pour on enough detergent to cover the stain, rub the Persil® laundry detergent into the stain and let it sit for 5 minutes. Wash with the warmest water safe for the sheets (always double check your tags) with a dose of Persil® laundry detergent. When you pull it out of the wash – check to see if your stain is gone before you dry the sheets and VOILA!
5. Don’t drink your coffee in bed. Just don’t – nothing good will come of it! This goes for wine, soda, whatever your vice is. And while you’re at it – don’t eat in bed either.
6. If you have tough stains or the sheets are looking especially gross, soak them overnight. I use the same steps for #4, but just let them marinate in the Persil® laundry detergent longer! I wash as normal the next day and (at least to me) they always look brighter.
7. Baking soda. Every couple of loads, I add in half a cup of baking soda alongside the Persil® laundry detergent to amp up the white.
8. Take off your makeup before bed. You should be doing this anyway for the sake of your skin, but makeup STAINS and it’s incredibly hard to remove from pillowcases, sheets, comforters, etc. Just take it off so you have happy skin AND clean sheets 😉
9. Be aware of what you sleep in. This one seems kind of silly, but sometimes pajamas have dyes in them that can stain sheets on contact. Just take a peek at the tags before climbing into your cozy bed!
What are your favorite laundry tips?