For as long as I can remember, I have had a sweet tooth. A MAJOR SWEET TOOTH. I like candy, cookies, cake, pie, ice cream…all of it. And while I might not love it (I’m looking at you crazy people who add fruit to things and call it dessert), I will try darn near anything. The dessert I’m sharing today is a twist on a popular cake called “Better Than Sex” cake. I refuse to call it “Better Than Sex” Trifle, because I mean honestly – you cannot compare sex and dessert, LOL. Sorry! I whipped this up over the holidays and am just now getting a chance to post about it, because life has kind of been a whirlwind, but thankfully I’m busting it out today, so you’ll be all set for your next event. Every single person who ate dessert was like “Kait, this is sinfully good” or “I don’t typically like such rich desserts but OH MY GOSH!”. So, with that in mind, today I’m spilling the recipe for this Caramel Brownie + Pound Cake Trifle!
Caramel Brownie + Pound Cake Trifle
First things first – let’s take a minute to look at all those ooey gooey delicious layers…OMG! I think what I love most about this specific trifle is that no two bites are alike. There are enough different layers to make each bite taste different than the one before it and keep you coming back for more chocolate, pound cake, toffee, Heath bar or whipped cream. Okay, I’m drooling just thinking about it so, let’s talk about how you can make it at your own house 😉
You Will Need:
1 pound cake (I use this recipe)
1 tray of brownies (I used this recipe and no one knew ;))
1 container whipped cream or Cocowhip if you can find it
1 bag Skor pieces or 2 cups crushed Heath bars (I couldn’t find SKOR bars – so sad! But I used tiny Heath bars crushed up and it worked fine!)
1 container sweetened condensed milk (I have yet to find a good dairy free sub for this!)
1 jar caramel sauce
1. The first step is cutting up both the brownies and the pound cake into small, bite-size pieces.
2. Once you’ve done that, the next steps are all about layering! Make sure you put your brownies on the bottom of the trifle bowl, because they are the heaviest, so you don’t want them sinking into your other layers.
3. Once you have your brownie pieces in the bottom, put a layer of sweetened condensed milk, then caramel, then whipped cream and Skor/Heath pieces.
4. Now, add your pound cake pieces. Repeat with the sweetened condensed milk and caramel, making sure that each piece of pound cake has gotten drenched. Be sure to add in some Skor/Heath pieces too!
5. Add a final layer of whipped cream and top with any remaining candy pieces or caramel.
6. Make sure your trifle sits for 6-10 hours in the refrigerator prior to serving. I usually make mine the night before and let it sit overnight. The longer it sits, the better it tastes!
So now that I’m officially drooling and trying to think of a reason to make this for just Dane and I – I hope you enjoy! And as always, be sure to let me know if you make it and what you think 🙂 Happy baking!