I do not know about any of you, but desserts are my love language. Ice cream is an even bigger love language. So when there is a dessert that combines my favorite alcoholic beverage and a twist on “ice cream” – you better believe I’m alllll over it. And then asking for seconds. What’s better? This dessert is completely BAKE FREE! That’s right – send your oven packing for the summer and we will call you in the fall, dear heat box. This No Bake Margarita is floating around Pinterest, but I really wanted to make it my own by combining my sweet tooth with penchant for dairy free baking. The result is this mouth watering dessert I took to a friend’s house and they DEVOURED it, begged for seconds and sent me home with a clean pan. It was a total winner! And today I’m sharing all the details so let’s dive in…
No Bake Margarita Pie
The best part (in my opinion) of this pie is that you can sub in the dairy-free items for the normal dairy version or use regular pretzels instead of gluten free ones. The swaps are so simple and the end result is amazing either way. It’s like you absolutely cannot go wrong with this one. Is there anything better in a dessert recipe?
You Will Need:
For The Crust
2 cups gluten free pretzels (I used these), crushed (I threw them in my Vitamix)
4 gluten free graham cookies (I used these), crushed (Again – I just threw them in my Vitamix)
For The Filling
1 cup coconut whipping cream*
*alternately, you can use regular, full fat coconut milk and a splash of cream of tartar to allow peaks to form for true ‘whipped cream’
1/3 cup lime juice
2 tbsp. tequila (or sub in two tablespoons of margarita mix if you aren’t comfortable cooking with alcohol)
Optional: lime zest, green food gel
1. In a mixing bowl, combine crust ingredients and mix well.
2. When well combined, press mixture into a greased pie dish, making sure it’s equal on all sides, but don’t worry – it doesn’t need to be perfect!
3. When you’ve pressed the mixture in, put it in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
4. In a clean bowl, beat coconut whipping cream on high until small peaks begin to form for ‘whipped cream’. If you aren’t seeing peaks after about 5 minutes, add in a tiny amount of cream of tartar for assistance. When whipped, set aside.
5. In your third (!) bowl of this recipe, mix together sweetened condensed coconut milk, lime juice, tequila/margarita mix, and optional green food coloring gel. I used a tiny bit for just a hint of color in mine!
6. Mix well until all ingredients are fully combined.
7. Fold whipped coconut milk into filling mixture until just combined.
8. Remove crust from refrigerator and pour filling mixture into the crust. Gently tap the pie plate on the counter to even out the top.
9. Cover with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for 6-8 hours. I left mine in there overnight…and then some!
10. Remove from freezer, top with optional lime zest and serve!
The result is a dessert that is equal parts sweet, tangy and salty – the perfect combination in my eyes when it comes to satiating my sweet tooth! In fact, one of the people I served it to said “When you first told me it was margarita pie I was a little nervous, but this is amazing!” So – there you have it! I would definitely suggest using a pie server to serve this as the crust can get a bit crumbly, but that certainly doesn’t take away from the flavor at all!
For easy reference, I’ve linked everything you saw in this post below!
Love this? Be sure to pin it for later!
Happy Eating 🙂