There are few things I love more than a clean house. Real talk: I see that about once a week with the amount of dog hair, red mud (thanks, Hawaii!) and slobber that cakes my floors on a daily basis thanks to my two fur babies. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t trade my two fur balls for anything, but cleaning has become a bit more of a chore than it used to be with just one four-legged companion.
|How do I get my floors so shiny? More on that in a minute…!|
How I Keep My House Clean With Two Dogs
One of my biggest concerns is that my house will start smelling like dog — gross! To combat this, I have 5 simple steps to keeping things fresh and clean.
1. Vacuum thoroughly. I do this at least once per day, because I have white walls and dark colored dogs. With the amount of hair and dirt that is sent flying on an hourly basis, this step is critical!
2. Invest in a good mop. I love the new O-Cedar MicroTwist™, because it covers 75% more area at a time with the extra large (16-inches!) mop head.
With a lot of ground to cover and minimal time to do it (these dogs wait for NO ONE!), I need something that is super absorbent and picks up dirt and grime on the first pass. This mop is a winner and I got mine from Amazon with free shipping from my Prime membership! #winning
3. Use pet-safe products. I make my own floor cleaner, because I can never be too cautious when it comes to my dogs. I use a 1:1:4 ratio of lemon juice, white vinegar and hot water. I’m a big fan of a lemony-citrus scent, which is why I add in lemon juice. If you don’t care for it, it’s not a necessary ingredient 🙂
4. Candles. My favorites come from Bath & Body Works and my friend’s company, Candelles. I stick to scents that are strong (think cinnamon and clove) that will easily overpower and lingering dog scents.
5. Wash dog toys, beds, collars and leashes regularly in Persil. These are all scent traps and can get very smelly if not properly washed and dried at least once per week. The result? Your house smelling like a kennel! Dog beds trap oils from their skin, toys get caked in slobber after hours of playing/chewing…you see where this is going! I throw everything into one load each Sunday and we are good to go for the week!
Do you have dogs? What is your go-to for keeping your house clean? If you liked this post, you might also enjoy: