Summer is HERE! I mean, it always feels like summer here in Hawaii, but it has been extra hot lately, which lets me know that AH YES, the months are shifting, and with that extra hot factor, there’s no better time to indulge in some ice cream. Let me be perfectly honest with you — ice cream of all varieties stands no chance against me any time of the year. I want to try EVERY. SINGLE. FLAVOR. So, when the hot months roll around and party desserts shift into the ice cream varietals, I’m like a vacuum cleaner. I wish I was kidding.
When Halo Top reached out and offered to send me an assortment of their low calorie pints, you can bet your sweet ass I couldn’t type “YES” fast enough. If there’s one thing that makes me mad about ice cream, it’s the calories. With these delicious pints of goodness, you’re only sacrificing 240-280 calories and, bonus time….they are packed with protein! Now, I know what you’re thinking…protein ice cream? GTFO.
But, as a full-fledged ice cream addict, I can tell you that the flavor is second to none. It’s creamy, sweet and delicious — just like regular ice cream. Dare I even admit..better?!
My favorite flavor of the bunch is, without a doubt, Birthday Cake. I mean, cake batter ice cream at only 280 calories for the whole dang pint? GIVE ME!
With a freezer full of flavors to enjoy, I wanted to come up with ways to indulge that aren’t eating it straight from the container with a spoon. Though, I am fully guilty of that, too!
1. Straight from the container. With a spoon. NO SHAME!
2. In a cone with lots of sprinkles. I am dying to test out this recipe for homemade vanilla waffle cones.
3. Iced Strawberry Shortcakes. Using vanilla flavored cookies (these gluten free ones are delicious) and Halo Top strawberry ice cream, twist apart the cookies and stuff with strawberry ice cream. This twist on a classic is sure to be mouth-watering!
4. Ice Cream Pie. I personally think that a chocolate peanut butter ice cream pie would be AMAZING, but you could use any flavor and I will be sure to try it.
5. Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches. Take your favorite chocolate cookies (again, Glutino makes a good one), twist apart and stuff with mint chocolate chip ice cream. I have made these and they are gone before Dane gets home. Whoops!
6. DIY Ice Cream Bars. We once went to a wedding where the bride and groom had arranged for the guests to make their own ice cream sundaes and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I think that buy a couple pints and all your favorite toppings would be the best addition to any summer soiree.
7. Ice Cream Cheesecake. Now, this is something I’ve only ever seen in my Pinterest dreams, but it’s essentially graham cracker crust, a fruit-based ice cream flavor, and cheesecake on top. If someone makes this, please invite me over.
8. Milkshakes. I did myself a solid and got more Birthday Cake Halo Top and am already dreaming of birthday cake milkshakes. Oh sweet baby Jesus…
9. Ice Cream Waffles. This is another recipe I’ve seen floating around Pinterest, but I’m so intrigued by it. Take a can of Pillsbury biscuits and cook the biscuits individually using your waffle iron. Top with a scoop of ice cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce, caramel or butterscotch.
10. Lemon Cakes. Using a traditional lemon bar recipe, create the base and top with lemon ice cream and freeze.
So, if you couldn’t tell, I’m an ice cream freak, but I’d love to know what your favorite way to enjoy ice cream is! And to get some Halo Top of your own, find out where to buy some around you HERE.