Man oh man, this post has been a long time coming, but I’m so happy I finally got my act together to type it all up, edit the photos so that you have something pretty to look at and get this bad boy signed, sealed and published on the blog. So let’s chat all about my DIY Instagram Wall, shall we?
When I was thinking about our home decor, one of the things Dane actually suggested was putting up some of our collective prints from Instagram. He said that since it’s somewhat of a “highlight reel” of our life, it would be a fun addition. I absolutely could not agree more! That said, picking out our photos ended up being the easiest part of this adventure! You see, Instagram walls sound like an amazing idea until you realize that you want everything to look uniform and your wall is about 18 feet high and you’re balancing on ladders and step stools and holding a flashlight, because you decided to take this on beginning at 7PM when the UPS man dropped off your frames…
Raise your hand if you’re nodding in agreement, because these sorts of shenanigans also occur at your own house….!
Okay, so once I had the space in my house picked out for displaying the photos, I knew I wanted entirely uniform frames. This is where I tell you that Tiny Mighty Frames saved my sanity, because in my own mind I was like..oh, I can just go buy a couple (hundred) 2x4s from Home Depot and cut, glue, arrange…and make it work out! Eh, eh. Joanna Gaines, I am not.
So, when I stumbled upon this miracle frame company, you can imagine how excited I was. Tiny Mighty Frames are modern-style wooden frames that come in multiples sizes and colors and offer mats or no mats, depending on your personal preferences. I ultimately decided on the White 6×6 Frames with a 4×4 mat, but after browsing just now, I may have to stock up on the Mighty Gold! #hearteyes
Another thing I loved about this company is that they offered their frames in perfectly sized packs with OPTIONS!
When you have your wall picked, your photos and your frames, it’s time to get to work. For this project, you will also need painter’s tape, measuring tape, a pencil, nails and a hammer. If it were me, I would also grab a hard cider to enjoy. Make sure it’s cold with a lime.
I gave my Instagram followers a live play by play, because of course, my DSLR was out of battery while the wall was in production, so please excuse the saved phone grabs.
1. The first thing you’re going to want to do is decide on spacing. I knew I wanted rows with equal distance on each side, as well as the top and bottom. Because of this, I could only fit 4 frames per row, so measuring is MAJORLY important.
2. When you have measured your wall and decided on spacing for each frame, take a piece of painter’s tape and align it with each measurement. If you want every frame to be 3 inches from the end of the wall, measure out 3 inches, put a tick mark with your pencil every couple inches and align your painter’s tape.
3. Do this for all of your vertical and horizontal measurements.
4. When you are ready to hang your frames, where your tape intersects should be where your nail will go! (I had already removed the horizontal tape in the above snap :()
5. You’ll notice that I hung my frames prior to putting photos in them. I wanted to keep them uniform to assess any potential spacing issues without having a photo distraction.
6. Plan out your photos before you put them into the frames, particularly if you printed more than you needed like me. Whoops! I had my square-sized photos printed at Walmart (size 4 x4) and was sure to use photos that I knew had been taken with my DSLR to make sure they weren’t blurry!
7. When every nail is in and all the frames line up (you may need to do a little bit of tinkering, at least I did)..it’s time to insert all the photos into the frames and hang those puppies up!
It’s safe to say that our DIY Instagram Wall is one of my favorite places in the house and everyone who has come over always says…oh my goodness, I just love this! It’s quite the conversation piece 😉 I also really love that I can swap photos in and out to switch things up when I am feeling like I want a change or around holidays. How fun would a Christmas themed Instagram wall be?! It’s as easy as swapping out the photos!
You’ll notice that a couple of the frames look slightly crooked in this photo and simply put – Hawaii tradewinds. This wall happens to face another entire wall of plantation shutters that let in the warm tropical breezes all day long, so a couple wonky frames is the outcome there. Not to worry, I spend most of my day straightening them and making sure they aren’t actually crooked, just a bit wind blown 😉
Do you have a fun gallery wall in your house? I’d love to see a link if you’ve posted about it!
Special thank you to Tiny Mighty Frames for partnering on this fun DIY project and post!