I was browsing through Target last week and noticed that my kryptonite, Cadbury Mini Eggs, were 30% OFF. I snatched up two bags and proceeded to eat half of one while finishing up my shopping. I literally have never done that in my life, and swore up and down I would not be that person. I must have blacked out, because now I am that person. Anyway, when I got home, I knew that if the half opened bag sat around, I would continue to eat them all, so I needed a plan. The result? Brown Butter Ghee Cookie Bars With Cadbury Mini Eggs
Brown Butter Ghee Cookie Bars With Cadbury Mini Eggs
I came up with these cookie bars as a challenge for myself to create a gluten free cookie bar that stayed moist, had delicious icing and was a little bit festive for Easter. I should also note that besides the Cadbury Mini Eggs on top, this recipe is dairy free! If you follow a strict dairy free diet, just omit the Cadbury eggs crushed up on top (add sprinkles if you want to be a little festive) and you’re good to go!
I have seen this brown butter ghee floating around and you guys – I am so cheap, but I am dying to try it. I figured I could pretty easily replicate it in my kitchen with enough work without forking over the cash and I would say I was pretty successful. So let’s get this ball rolling on my Brown Butter Ghee Cookie Bars With Cadbury Mini Eggs!
Easy Easter Dessert
Gluten Free Cookie Bars
You Will Need:
For the bars
1 cup ghee, browned (I followed these directions + loved the result! That said, feel free to sub in regular browned butter if you aren’t dairy free)
1 container Kite Hill plain cream cheese (if you don’t have issues with dairy – feel free to sub in 8 oz. of regular!)
1 1/2 cups organic coconut sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups Cup4Cup
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
For the icing
3/4 cup ghee (can sub in regular butter if diary doesn’t bother you!)
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons coconut milk (can sub in regular milk if dairy doesn’t bother you!)
2. In a stand mixer, combine ghee and dairy free cream cheese. Whip together until well blended.
3. Add in coconut sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Slowly add in flour, baking powder and baking soda.
5. Blend ingredients until a thick dough forms.
6. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and spread dough evenly into the pan.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes and remove from oven to cool completely.
*The bars will look a little fluffy on top when you initially remove them from the oven.
8. While bars are cooling, mix together frosting ingredients and set aside. Feel free to mix in your favorite food gel coloring for a more festive topping!
9. When bars have cooled completely, spread icing evenly on bars, top with Cadbury Eggs (or your favorite sprinkles) and serve.I think what I love most about this recipe is how moist the bars stayed, even after a couple days. The combination of brown butter with slightly sweet creamy icing was enough for this to be a good dessert without being over-the-top. I’ll be honest – I was shocked by how good these turned out. Dare I even admit they are now in my top 5 desserts ever?!
Dane admitted that the idea of a cookie bar itself isn’t anything to write home about but there was something so dang good about these. I have thought and thought, but I truly can’t put my finger on it! They are an absolute must make for Easter, dessert, parties, events, to have around the house and dunk in your coffee….you see where this is going.I also gave some to my neighbor to try and she always shoots it to me straight and she said “Kait, these are delicious. They don’t even taste gluten free!” She used to own a candy shop, so I feel like that carries some weight. Maybe? Maybe not? Either way. Come over, stay awhile, and I’ll make you some treats.
If you decide to whip these up for Easter, a special occasion or just because – I would love to know what you think! I have a sneaking suspicion these are going to become a staple at our house. I already have plans for some festive Fourth of July inspired bars. Stay tuned…and happy baking 🙂
If you liked this recipe, you might also enjoy Salted Billionaire Dessert Bars!