Vegetarian Sweet Potato Curry Soup is a 30-minute meal that’s the perfect weeknight dinner. This cheap healthy meal is a vegetarian dish that’s both dairy and gluten free.
When my husband and I traveled to Thailand, one of our favorite activities was going to culinary school. We were able to tour the local markets, obtain the fresh ingredients we needed, and prepare delicious meals packed with flavor for very little money. It was amazing to me that I was so far away from the comfort of my own kitchen, yet so comfortable creating meals that my husband and I both loved…and devoured!
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Curry
After we got home, I was determined to continue making the same delicious meals we had grown to love in the different regions of Thailand. Armed with my newfound ingredient knowledge and cooking techniques, I ventured to our local outdoor farmers market here on Oahu. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this side of the Pacific had just as many treasures as the Thai market we frequented!
My Vegetarian Sweet Potato Curry Soup is a culinary treat that pleases nearly anyone and is both dairy free and gluten free. It’s the perfect easy weeknight dinner because who doesn’t love a simple and flavorful 30-minute meal?
Sweet Potato Thai Curry Recipe
If you’re looking to take your recipe to the next level, skip the market-bought curry paste and attempt your own with the recipe linked below! It’s straight from my kitchen to yours.
To make this vegetarian curry at home, you will need:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 white onion, diced
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large sweet potato, cubed
2 tbsp green curry paste
2 tbsp red curry paste
1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
2.5 cans full fat coconut milk
1 cup vegetable broth
Any vegetables you may want to add
Easy Vegetarian Curry
1. In a large saucepan, sauté garlic, onion, and coconut oil over medium heat.
2. When onions and garlic are aromatic, add in the sweet potato cubes.
3. After 3-5 minutes, add in curry pastes and chili garlic sauce.
4. Toss the potatoes in the pan until the curry is evenly spread around the pan.
5. Add in the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Stir well.
6. If you’re adding additional vegetables to your curry, add those in now.
7. Turn heat to high and wait for mixture to come to a boil.
8. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium and let simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
9. Top each bowl with fresh bean sprouts and lime wedges.
10. Serve and enjoy!
The best part about this Sweet Potato Curry is that it can be completely customized to the liking of your family or guests. Some of the vegetables we like to add are bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, and eggplant. It’s also delicious with some crushed peanuts sprinkled on top. No matter how you decide to enjoy this simple vegetarian dish, I promise you won’t be disappointed.