Considering making rice pudding from scratch? Here is everything you need to know about how to make rice pudding.
Have you ever tasted rice pudding? My mom made the dessert all the time for me growing up and I know hearing about a rice and pudding combo might seem odd. But I promise it’s is one of the most delicious desserts you will ever eat. Don’t believe me? Here’s how to make rice pudding…try for yourself!
How To Make Rice Pudding
This old-fashioned dessert is a warm, comforting treat and a single taste makes me think of my childhood. It’s creamy, slightly sweet, and completely easy. If the recipe looks intimidating, I promise, you can do it. The worst part is not eating the entire pan by yourself. Trust me, I’ve come very close.
Rice Pudding Recipe
A lot of recipes I’ve seen over the years include raisins, which is not something my mom ever included. I’m not a huge raisin fan, so totally fine by me! Eating the pudding right from the oven is delicious, but I will admit that leftovers are equally delicious cold.
Worth noting, I use calrose rice, because I think it makes the recipe creamier, but long grain works well, too, and whipped cream on top is a must.
To make homemade rice pudding at home, you will need:
1 cup uncooked calrose rice
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
48 oz. of milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Bring rice to a quick boil.
2. Turn to the lowest heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the water is gone.
3. Add in the milk and stir into the rice
4. Add 1/2 cup sugar and stir.
5. Cook mixture on low to medium heat for approximately 1 hour, or until the milk is puffy.
6. In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 egg.
7. Add to the milk/rice mixture.
8. Pull from heat and add 1 tsp. of vanilla.
9. Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
10. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
11. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.