Happy Monday, everyone!
Our weekend seemed to zip by, but I’m grateful for a little bit of time spent on the beach on Saturday catching some rays, chatting and reading a bit.
1. We stopped No Spend July a little bit earlier than we had anticipated for two main reasons. One, we had already saved $1700 in 21 days and two, our Friday night took a crazy scary turn and after it, Dane and I were both feeling a little bit like we needed to treat ourselves to dinner out. Dinner out turned into a movie on Saturday (more on that later) and by the end of the weekend we were both proud of our 21-day effort and called it quits. I have a full recap coming tomorrow, so be sure to check back!
2. Friday night Dane and I were leaving our neighborhood and we noticed a car that was following us really closely. We didn’t think too much of it and merged onto the highway like we normally would. This car continued to tail us, inching closer and closer to our bumper. Dane started to get a little bit concerned by it (I mean the guy was so close we couldn’t even see his front bumper!). So, Dane changed lanes, only to have this guy pull up right beside us screaming and cursing and doing all these crazy hand gestures. It would have been easy to ignore, except he was creeping into our lane and at one point I could have reached out and touched his car. Keep in mind we are on a busy highway around rush hour so tons of cars around us are all staring like – what the heck is going on?! The guy continues to inch closer and closer, forcing us closer to the median, which was so scary, all while screaming with his head out the window! At this point, I’ve initiated a 911 call and am talking to the operator. In the meantime, the guy has sped up to (hopefully) go away, when out of nowhere, he side swipes and cuts directly in front of our car and slams on the breaks. Thankfully Dane has incredibly quick reflexes, because he swerved off the side of the road just in time, squealing and spinning into a safe spot on the side. I have never been so terrified in my life thinking…oh my God, we are going to die. What’s worse? Not a single person stopped and all the cops could say was “maybe he was on drugs or something”. I don’t have enough eye rolls in the world for that response, but all I can say is that we are both incredibly thankful we are okay.
3. If you follow along on my Instagram stories, you might remember that on Tuesday I had a total God Wink. If you’ve never read the book, I 100% recommend it. But anyway, Dane and I have both been asking for a sign about some life decisions recently and after this happened we were both kind of like, okay….WE GET IT! All I asked is that the sign be clear and have no reasonable or logical explanation, but I’ve been waiting months and months for this sign, so I had kind of figured — well, maybe it just isn’t going to happen. I had just come home from the gym and went to throw out some garbage into our outside garbage bin. A couple days prior, I had cleaned the bin with Clorox and scrubbed it down completely. It still smelled like bleach and was completely empty. So I go to throw out a bag of trash and I see this…
MAGGOTS! A whole colony of them. Honestly, this photo doesn’t do it justice because they were every-fucking-where and just multiplying by the second. And for what reason?! I checked everywhere for food, a dead animal, SOMETHING!! And came up completely empty handed. Needless to say, we got that sign LOUD AND CLEAR.
4. Last week I was looking for some specific photos that required busting out my old hard drives. In addition to some hysterical photos from college, I stumbled across some adorable photos of baby Judy, baby Bill and this one of Dane and I enjoying a surfing competition on the North Shore. Ah, memories!
5. Saturday night we went to go see the movie Dunkirk and I’m here to tell you that that movie deserves every accolade, award and honor that movies are capable of getting. I laughed (there are some good one liners in there), cried and everything in between watching the heroics of the soldiers and civilians who were so brave on that beach. WOW! I haven’t felt this strongly about a movie since I watched “Lion” and before that – I’m not sure what it was, but seriously – go see Dunkirk.
6. We are officially 3 weeks out from our trip to Bali and I’m counting the dang days! We have so many fun adventures planned, but first…I need to think about packing! Is it just me or is packing the worst part of any vacation? I take that back – unpacking and doing post-vacay laundry ranks pretty high, too. But if anyone is interested in coming to pack up all my things for me, come on over. If you’ve been to Bali, I’d love to know what your favorite activity/restaurant was! We already have quite a few things on tap (Monkey Forest, temples, rice fields, art markets), but if there’s a can’t miss bar, restaurant, museum, shop – let a sister know! I definitely plan on laying by this pool for AT LEAST a full day of relaxation 😉
7. I recently won a giveaway hosted on Instagram by Kylie Martin Photography. I was so excited when I won because 1. I never win anything and 2. the prize was this adorable bag from The Little Market.
I had never even heard of this company before, but after poking around for a little bit – I’m in love! It’s an online boutique for fair trade products and gifts founded by Lauren Conrad. What’s better? It’s a nonprofit, so every time you make a purchase, that money goes to the fair trade artisans represented within the shop. How cool right?! They have some seriously cute stuff that is reasonably priced, so be sure to check it out.
8. I got a package from my sweet friend on the Big Island this week filled with my love language – stationery. Ali runs Locali Creative and we have chatted back and forth ever since I moved here. She is always so inspiring to me and it was such a nice treat to get some of her whimsical cards in the mail. Definitely check out her designs if you are in the market for some funny (and punny) cards to gift all your favorite people. Plus, she also makes art prints and hats!
9. A few weeks back my friend, Sarah, reached out to me to ask if I had ever used LipSense before. I was majorly skeptical, because I had had a bad experience with semi-permanent makeup before (see also: it lasted for almost 3 days no matter what I scrubbed with…ACK!). But she assured me that if I went into it and tried it with an open mind, she would also send along some special remover that would take off the lipstick 100% every time. I won’t lie, it took me 3 days to even open the package, because I had visions of bright red lips lasting forever. But! I DID try it (full review of it coming in a week or two after I’ve given it some time and me getting used to the technique) and so far – so good. It definitely is a bit of a learning curve, especially initially with the sloughing off of dead skin (gross), but it definitely 1. lasts 2. has great color choices and 3. comes off when I want it to! The first time I used it, it lasted for 11 hours, including a full day of teaching, plus a night out AND swimming. Color me impressed! I’m anxious to see how I like it after a few more wears, but given that I’m either talking or drinking from my Hydroflask all day long I am pretty pleased!
I’m wearing Plumeria and Fly Girl layered in this photo for reference 🙂
10. Was anyone else really looking forward to Michael Phelps racing a Great White Shark? I legitimately have no idea why I was so excited for last night’s race, but I was. And here I sit, totally bummed by it. For some reason, I had visions of them in a salt water pool racing in lanes (maybe because I’m a moron and didn’t really think the process through), but anyway…it wasn’t even a real shark! I feel totally duped and maybe even a little stupid thinking I was going to see a human race a Great White Shark. Is anyone else feeling this way?! LOL
Whew, I covered a lot today, so if you made it this far, high five to you! How was your weekend?