If you know me, you know I love supporting local. Sure, a trip to Target and Nordstrom is awesome and I do it often, but so is strolling into a local boutique or hiring a small business owner to take family photos.
Today, I’m sharing ten of my favorite small businesses in Hawaii that I have support and love. Lucky for all of you — most of them cater to an audience outside Hawaii as well! So, let’s jump right in!
1. Sugarcane Shop. A hidden hem nestled among restaurants and coffee shops in Kaimuki, Sugarcane is one of my favorite boutiques on the island. You can always find Hawaiian-made goods for you, your home or a friend and Jill, the owner, has become a dear friend of mine. Whether you’re seeking beautiful new jewelry, a tropical throw pillow or a new Turkish towel — Sugarcane needs to be your go-to!
2. Fighting Eel. I have to admit – window shopping at this store is my weakness. I don’t have very many pieces, but every single time I go by, I walk in and browse. I can’t help myself! The clothing in this store is simple, chic and perfect for island life. Their price points are sometimes a bit high, but the quality is ALWAYS high, so a splurge is worth it 😉
3. Cait Schlabach Photography. If you’ve been around for awhile, you’ll notice that I use Cait every single time I need headshots, blog photos or family portraits. She has an incredible eye for capturing moments and memories and her use of color is second to none. I’m lucky to call her one of my good friends on the island! Lucky for all of you, she travels nationwide for shoots AND is offering special packages for holiday shoots. Mention my name when booking! 🙂
4. Shinn Studio. Christine is the artist behind Shinn Studio, a colorful, island-inspired line of exceptional artwork. I love her use of bright colors and abstract interpretations. She is seriously so talented and I’m looking forward to adding a piece or two from her collection to my home. Specifically, one with dogs on a beach 😉
5. SCHYNE. If you are out and about on Oahu (and likely other islands), you will likely see Amber’s hand-lettering. It’s so distinctively beautiful that I can almost always spot it on chalkboards, signs and beyond! My favorite calligraphy of hers is located at the ice cream shop in Haleiwa 🙂
6. Hawaii Doggie Bakery. I’ll be honest, Judy & Bill asked me to include this one for them, but I would be lying if I didn’t admit their vet-approved treats made me smile, too. I first discovered them at the Made In Hawaii Festival (a great event held every August), but they take orders year-round and can do custom orders/events, too! I cannot say enough good things, so two paws up from us.
7. Jaxsea. If you’ve been around awhile, I’ve blogged about these gorgeous kimonos before. They are lightweight, well-made and a must for long days on the beach when your shoulders are just a little TOO sunkisses. They also make great additions to daytime outfits or just lounging around on a lazy Saturday morning.
8. Eldeea. Kennedy is the sweet soul behind this whimsical line of jewelry and each and every time I wear my Eldeea bracelet someone asks “WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?!” There are so many different designs that every time she posts something new I think..I need that. Her baubles can be found at many local shops, but she ships, too!
9.Wimini Hawaii. I stumbled across this brand by total mistake while I was shopping at another store I love GreenRoom Hawaii. They make THE CUTEST apparel for babies and every time a friend gets pregnant, I want to buy out their inventory. They make apparel for adults, too, but seriously — the kid’s stuff. #swoon I’ll be adding one of their super soft tees to my collection ASAP!
10. Lovingly Restored By Laura. You know how when you meet certain people you’re like…I think I’ve met you before? When I met Laura, I felt like I was meeting Joanna Gaines. She is the mastermind behind Lovingly Restored by Laura and I’m pretty convinced you could hand her a pile of dirt and she would transform it into the coolest set of shelves you’ve ever seen. Her work speaks for itself and her prices are SO affordable!
Have you shopped at any of these places? They are the BEST! If you have a favorite small biz — I’d love to hear about it!